• March 10Follow us on Instagram @ titantimesnews
The Student News Site of Tinley Park High School

Titan Times

Titan Times

Titan Times

Countdown to Graduation
Congratulations Graduates

Benefits of Playing Sports

Benefits of Playing Sports

Sports are played all around the world whether it’s American football, baseball, softball, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, swimming, track, and more. Athletes, such as Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Simone Biles, Babe Ruth, and many more, have made a huge impact in our world. There are many benefits to becoming a part of a sports team such as sportsmanship, increase in self-esteem and academic performance, as well as staying in shape. 

To begin, one benefit for athletes is developing sportsmanship and teamwork. By participating in sports, you’re communicating with other people and learning to set productive goals. You’re also building social skills along the way. Fighting for a common goal is the main source to building teamwork together. 

Another benefit of playing sports is boosting self-esteem and increasing a sense of awareness for yourself, as well as others. When you work hard, it feels rewarding. According to the Army & Navy Academy website, cited by Edutopia, it states, “team sports are said to bolster the five C’s: competence, confidence, connections, character, and caring”. This is as important as having teamwork because by having a strong self-esteem, you’re acquiring better social interactions. 

Next, playing sports is an amazing way to exercise and stay in shape. Sports can also encourage healthy decisions by not drinking, smoking, or making unhealthy eating choices. Being physically active can improve your brain health, reduce risk of disease, improve your ability to do everyday activities, and strengthen your bones and muscles.

Lastly, by being on a sports team, academic performances can improve. Research by many fitness institutes says that physical exercise leads to  enhanced creativity, better memory, concentration, and increased problem-solving skills. Many adolescents can also develop a passion for learning something new during the experience, which often shows that more teens are likely to go to college and graduate. 

In conclusion, sports have beneficial aspects towards social, mental, emotional, and physical health. Hopefully you can see the benefits and will consider joining a team at Tinley Park High School.

Sources I used: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/pa-health/index.htm

https://www.armyandnavyacademy.org/blog/beyond-physical-fitness-the-benefits-of-playing-team-sports/#:~:text=As%20cited%20by%20Edutopia%2C%20“team,%2C%20and%20higher%20academic%20performance

https://www.muhealth.org/conditions-treatments/pediatrics/adolescent-medicine/benefits-of-sports