Slam Dunk Season

Justin Parker, Staff Writer

The Titan boys basketball team has shown much improvement from the start of their season.  Their record for the season is currently 13-12.  In the South Suburban Conference they are ranked 9-3 and ranked 272nd among Illinois teams.

Amarion Johnson answered some questions for the Titan Times. He feels the team has a unique style of play and has developed good team chemistry. They have learned to play together and communicate on the court in order to win.  The team realizes that working on bettering themselves individually will lead to a better team collectively. One area that Amarion, senior forward and team captain, would like to see improvement in is doing a better job of coming out after halftime with the same energy that they start the game with. Amarion stated that he is able to manage both his academic responsibilities and his athletic responsibilities by putting “books before ball.” He realizes in order to be successful in life you need to stay focused on your schoolwork and grades.

Head coach DJ Brown noted that the team is very heavy with juniors this year, so they are somewhat young.  This will bode well for the Titans next year to have all this talent returning.  The team is currently playing very good basketball and the coaches would love to see everyone come out for the last home game this Friday, February 10th.  The Titans will be facing Oak Lawn High School. This is sure to be a great game as this is a big conference cross-over match up. 

The players on the varsity basketball team this year are as follows:  Amarion Johnson (Sr.), Devion Nichols (Sr.), Myles Haythorne (Jr.), Indion Aurel (Jr.), Dashawn Allen (Jr.), Nolan Maciejewski (So.), Johnny Perkins (Jr.), Tylan Landfair (Jr.), Cameron Ellis (Jr.), Bernard McHerron (Jr.), Darryl Thompson (Jr.), Kendric Berry (Fr.), David Akintomide (Jr.), Cooper Bullard (Sr.), Harlon Evans (Sr.). Team captains this year are Amarion Johnson and Nolan Maciejewski.

One player getting a lot of interest from prep schools and junior colleges offering him full scholarships is Amarion Johnson.  Best of luck to him and the other graduating seniors who plan on continuing to play basketball at the next level.