• March 10Follow us on Instagram @ titantimesnews
The Student News Site of Tinley Park High School

Titan Times

Titan Times

Titan Times

Countdown to Graduation
Congratulations Graduates

The History of Veterans Day

Veterans Day is November 11th every year. This is a very important day to honor veterans who served in wars for their courage and patriotism. On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, during the 11th month in 1918, Germany and Allied forces came together and signed the peace treaty. The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919 and this was when World War l ended. After this, World War II and the Korean War occurred. Veterans Day was also formerly known as Armistice Day as well. In 1919, President Wilson proclaimed that November 11th would be the day to celebrate. He said, “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those whose died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…” President Wilson was very passionate about this and shared his thoughts to everyone about how wonderful Veterans Day is. So next time you run into a veteran, thank them for the service they gave our country; honor them through your words and actions.

Sources accessed: https://department.va.gov/veterans-day/history-of-veterans-day/ https://www.defense.gov/News/Feature-Stories/story/article/1675470/5-facts-to-know-about-veterans-day/