• March 10Follow us on Instagram @ titantimesnews
The Student News Site of Tinley Park High School

Titan Times

Titan Times

Titan Times

Countdown to Graduation
Congratulations Graduates

Día de los Muertos

Día de los Muertos

Have you ever watched the Disney movie Coco? Did you know that the celebration is based on a real holiday from Latin America? There are holidays all over the world that are each celebrated in different ways. Learning about different cultures and their celebrations or even sometimes participating in their celebrations can help you feel connected to so many people and cultures around the world. One of these events that can help you grow closer to other people is our Tinley Park Día De Los Muertos school celebration.

On November 2nd, 2023, one of our Spanish teachers, Mrs.Butryn, hosted a celebration so that all of the students and teachers, no matter the culture, could get together and celebrate a day worth celebrating. On this day, many Hispanic families get together to honor people who have passed away. It can be family members, friends, celebrities, or even strangers. Families bring gifts for the dead. These gifts can include toys for the children, food for everyone, and more. Sometimes people even make or buy kites to scare evil spirits away and to keep their loved ones that have passed safe. It’s a day full of love and remembrance. 

In our school, we dance and sing traditional songs, eat traditional foods, and explain our cultural celebration to the students who are curious and want to know about it. We have different stations where students are assigned to answer questions from their peers. To get the decorations up, the Spanish classes spend weeks preparing everything and helping each other when the time comes. 

All in all, every step of the process is made enjoyable by our teachers and classmates, and it’s a wonderful way to learn about a culture while still having fun.